Affinion International has issued a list of tips that help brits from cyberattacks. Conumers in Britain can take steps to better protect their information online. The advice comes in the wake of last week’s data breach at telecommunications provider TalkTalk.
Research conducted by Affinion demonstrates that Brits are spending longer online and are increasingly concerned about the safety of their personal information online. Nine out of ten are worried about personal details being available publicly online, with a similar number (92%) concerned about fraudsters illegally obtaining their financial information.
Despite high concerns about personal data security, 13% of Brits admit they do nothing whatsoever to protect their information while online, a figure rising to 26% among 18-24s. Almost half (42%) of consumers do not use any online protection software, leaving themselves vulnerable to online criminal threats including phishing, key logging and screen capture malware.
Top tips to minimise your risk of identity fraud
- · Use complex passwords and never use the same password for more than one account, especially for banking
- · Check your credit report frequently for any unauthorised entries - 46% of all online fraud is first found by spotting something irregular on a credit report.
- · Check your bank and credit statements as soon as they arrive
- · Employ protective software across your PC and mobile devices to boost protection of your personal and financial details online against the latest threats of keylogging and malware
- · Use a shredder before throwing away personal letters and documents.
“While companies are ultimately responsible for protecting their customers’ data there are simple steps that people can take to protect themselves online,” said Giles Desforges, Affinion International’s Senior Vice President Northern Europe. “Customers should be proactive in monitoring their credit reports for unusual activity and they should use software to protect personal data and passwords while using the internet. Affinion helps brands to meet the needs of their customers and add value by offering easy to use credit monitoring and data protection products”.
Affinion International provides mycreditmonitor – www.mycreditmonitor.co.uk to support consumers with expert help and tools to manage and improve their credit score. The tool offers 24/7 monitoring of a credit profile, alerts over significant changes and helps customers spot potentially fraudulent activity.